Thursday, March 7, 2013

R.I.P. - Stompin' Tom Connors


As was reported last night, Stompin' Tom Connors, the author of the "The Hockey Song" and other Canadian hits (I have to shamefully admit I'm not sure if I've heard many of his other songs).

While a cover is, at best, a homage to the original the version below is my favorite version of the song as performed by the Hanson Brothers, better known as NoMeansNo.  They're a Canadian punk band who decided to play under this moniker with Ramones styled songs about beer, girls, and hockey.






I've always found this version more energetic (probably due to the faster tempo and distorted guitars) and more entertaining.  I also think punk rock and metal provide a great soundtrack to hockey if the correct songs are selected (a topic for a future post).


Regardless, this version, or any other, wouldn't exist without Stompin' Tom Connors.  Rest in Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment